Speaking of knitting, having too much time on one's hands, and getting inflamed, I recently joined a site called Ravelry, which is sort of like Facebook for knitters. There are well over 125,000 members, and naturally a lot of discussion groups exist there, including many that have nothing to do with knitting. One is called "Language Lovers." I'm sure this is already setting off alarm bells for the linguists in the audience, because y'all know what sorts of things get discussed on those boards:
"ZOMG yesterday I heard someone pronounce something wrong and it made me so crazy and Western civilization is crumbling because no one knows when to say it's and when to say its and OMG OMG OMG what is happening to young people don't they teach grammar in schools anymore and why don't people know the rules like I do??? AAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!"
You know, or something like that. Yeah, these people love language alright. And if you can't see me rolling my eyes from India, you're not looking very hard. I find it difficult not to comb through the posts and carefully point out each and every grammatical error they themselves perpetrate within their pedantic little screeds. But I don't, because, well, I have better things to do, such as post to the Bob Dylan fan forum. ("Visions of Johanna: best song in the history of the universe. Discuss.")
No comments:
Post a Comment