Wednesday, August 20, 2008

half and half, or half and whole?

I've registered for the Seattle Half Marathon on Sunday, November 25th, since I was planning to be in Seattle anyway that weekend, departing that afternoon. I'd have signed up for the full marathon except it seemed pretty soon after the Portland race, and did I mention I have a plane to catch that same day? Plus there is probably a limit to the amount of time I can expect Kristin and Chad to cheerfully stand around waiting for me to finish, especially considering that last year it actually snowed on marathon day. (Kristin will be running the half marathon this year, after some clever persuasion on my part that involved her saying things like "It was so miserable last year that I swore I would never do it again" and me saying things like "But I already signed up; it will be so FUN! No, really! Fun!" Kristin may end up disowning me as of noon or so on 11/25.)

My next question is what to do about the Bombay marathon on January 20--full or half? I would like to do the full marathon, but I have some concerns about committing to five and a half hours of race walking in a very hot country where you can't drink the water. I'm told that last year one of the sponsors was a major bottled water company and they provided the water at support stations, so that may not end up being a real problem. My other concern is that I will need to spend the previous night at a hotel near the race start/finish line, because it's something like an hour by taxi to get to that part of town. I don't want to have to pay for two nights in a pricey hotel, so I need to figure out whether I could finish the full marathon in time to get back to my room, shower, and check out by noon or a little later.

In other words, I need information about the race start times, as well as information about how long the course stays open (i.e., whether it is "walker-friendly," although I tend to finish ahead of some "runners," thankyouverymuch). Considering that the race is in a mere 3 months, you'd think that information would be available on the race's official web site, right? Well, if you thought that, you are a silly person who has forgotten that this is India. Oh sure, there are link-y looking things on the sidebar that say things like "Race Details" and "Race Day Info." Try mousing over those. You get nuthin'. The best they have to offer is a scrolling message saying "Keep watching this space for regular updates." Note that the logo they have (see above) is for last January. Oh, Bombay Marathon home page, how you make me laugh. (In contrast, consider that you can register for the following year's Portland marathon the day after the current year's marathon is over...possibly even the same day.)

No comments: